Parkinson’s Disease is a slow, progressive, debilitating disease where sections of the brain degenerate causing the muscles to become stiff. It can cause stoop posture and shuffling gait or walk. It can also cause pill-rolling. This is moving the thumb and the first finger like a rolling pill.
For seniors with Parkinson Disease, tremors and shaking make it very difficult to perform activities of daily living.
HOW HOME CARE CAN HELP ELDERLY WITH PARKINSON DISEASE?
- Protect clients from any unsafe areas and conditions
- Prevent falls. Seniors with Parkinsons are high risk for falls
- Assist with personal care and activities of daily living
- Assist with range of motion exercises to prevent contractures
- Ambulate with assistance to help strengthen muscles
- Encourage independence and self-care
- Assist with housekeeping duties
- Give emotional support
- Promote client’ health and comfort
- Maintain client’s dignity and self-worth